|To attach a sidecar to a motorcycle is not too difficult, but to build an outfit with good handling- and riding characteristics may be something entirely different. Ed Pols invested a lot of time and energy in the design of his MOTURIST sidecars and in devising ways to make them safe, comfortable, and fun to ride.
To hitch a Moturist P1 to my Moto Guzzi California II, I made some necessary modifications to the bike, several other alterations were made to make the rig fit for long distance travelling (i.e. hauling a lot of luggage). Most modifications were designed by Ed Pols, and he also supplied the bulk of the needed parts.
I did most of the work in the do it yourself workshop of Ed Pols’ store MOTORTOER in Amsterdam during a one week stay in February 1983. I couldn’t have done this job without the help and advise of Ed and his co-workers, and also of many of his friends and customers. Not only did I learn a lot during that week, but I also had a fantastic time, and I still think back of those days with warmth and sympathy. I consider this web site dedicated to Ed and all those people at MOTORTOER who helped me build a fantastic rig, and thus considerably contributed to my personal well being, safety and my general joy of life during many years.
|Here is a list of modifications to my Moto Guzzi Cali II:|
|1 to decrease the amount of front wheel trail, a construction of two aluminium plates and two auxiliary tubes was used to move the fork legs forward by 40 mm. The legs were also moved several mm’s apart so the original brake calipers could still be used with the smaller diameter wheel rim (see 6 & 7 below).|
|2 the front fork suspension was improved by “air support”: the inner fork legs were hard chromium-plated, a double set of oil seals was installed, the top caps were drilled and tapped and interconnected air nipples were inserted and connected with an air valve), rubber protecting sleeves were installed.
3 stiffer front shock absorbers were installed
4 a small adjustable Kawasaki steering damper was installed.
|5 the rear springs and shocks were replaced by adjustable S & W Marc III air/oil units.
6 the 18” alloy wheels were replaced by 15” wire wheels (alloy Moto Guzzi hubs, stainless steel spokes & chrome plated steel rims); tires: front 125 X 15 (Fiat Topolino diagonal tire), rear a Pneumant 125RS15 (a very rigid radial tire).
7 a longer front wheel spindle plus spacers was installed.
8 a heavy duty socket was integrated into the m.c. wiring to easily connect & disconnect the sidecar lights.
9 hydraulic connector with ball valve was incorporated into the Moto Guzzi integral brake system to allow connection of s.c. brake.
10 the sidecar is attached at 5 points: two sidecar mounting balls are installed, one on an auxilliary frame in front of the front engine support, the second is bolted on the special Moturist sidecar attach auxiliary plate & braces that is mounted behind the centre stand; three eye bolts are installed for the upper sidecar supports: one on the front crash bar, one in the middle on the m.c. frame, one on the rear crash bar.
11 the upper attachment point of the rear crash bar was reinforced to cope with the forces of the sidecar attachment.
12 oil temp and oil pressure gauges were installed.
13 the rear wheel drive box was fitted with ventilation: the filler plug was drilled & tapped, an air nipple inserted and an S-trap shaped tube attached.
14 the air filter box was replaced by separate K&N filters.
15 the battery was moved to the sidecar luggage boot and connected to the m.c. electrical system by 200 Amp (welding) cables with plugs & sockets to allow easy sidecar attachment/detachment.
|I WILL ADD MORE PHOTOGRAPHS A.S.A.P.|
|Back to Gerard's owners' page|
|Klik hier voor deze pagina in het Nederlands||Back to the owners' page|